Old May 25th 06, 03:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc

Default USGS Study on trail impact

"Chris Foster" wrote in message
05.47...
All,
Here is a artical originally posted by Pete Rissler. It did not get
near enough attention, so I am reposting it:

Here's a recent study conducted by the U.S. Geological Survey on trail use
in a National River and Recreation Area for the National Park Service.

Here's a synopsis and link from the IMBA page

http://www.imba.com/news/news_releas...nps_study.html

Here's a link to the report, again off the IMBA page

http://www.imba.com/resources/scienc...nps_report.pdf

Obviously since IMBA is linking to it, the report shows mountain biking in
favorable light at least being no different than the impact of hiking. ATV
and Horse trails were the worse degraded. Mountain Bikes had the
smallest
width and Cross Sectional Area than the other users (ATV, Horses) though
there was no significant difference between bikes and hiking (essentially
the same). Bike trails also had the lowest amount of soil loss. In short
bike trails were in the best condition followed by hiking then horse then
ATV trails. If nothing else, the report is invaluable just for the