Old July 15th 11, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Mark J.

Default OT - Why Denmark is Better Than Texas

On 7/15/2011 9:56 AM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jul 15, 3:47 am, Lou wrote:

Denmarks climate is not as extreme as the other Scandinavian countries.
It is much like the Dutch climate. Got the day off today to work on my
home improvement project of this year. Plan a 100 km ride later this
afternoon. All this I would not do when it was 104 F, but it's 20-21 C,
partly cloudy with a gentle breeze. Good luck with your Texas/Austin
climate.

I had the pleasure of traveling through Solvang, California recently, a
Danish enclave become tourist-spot now celebrating its 100th
anniversary. As we drove into the area, a hot, dry Oak
savanna-in-a-valley, I wondered why Danish folk would come here - it's
not like Denmark at all. When we touristed through Solvang the next
day, I learned that these Danish /didn't/ come from Denmark - they came
from Iowa/Wisconsin/Minnesota after initially immigrating /there/. I
imagine those Solvang-founders-to-be saying "Danmark vas never like dis,
let's find a varmer spot!"

Cycling content: Solvang regularly hosts a time trial stage of the Tour
of California, and has lovely quiet roads for cycling in the vicinity.
I retraced a ride from my youth that was a lot harder than I remembered
(Figueroa Mountain Road), discovering that I'm a lot older than I was 30
years ago.

Mark J.