Old August 12th 05, 05:46 AM

Default The one thing that couldn't go wrong, did go wrong.

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Turns out I'd mis-measured my rear stays and they're only
124 mm. The frame is made of steel. It's reinforced by the
brake mount, so it doesn't flex much the way I need it to.
No way am I bending this frame, and I really don't want to
have anyone else do it either.

I'll pile on here, and say you should definitely bend the frame. Space
those dropouts to where you need them.

I did this about two months ago to a friend's old bike, and I've done
one of mine. In my case, there must be 15,000 miles on it since I
spread it.

Only caveat I'd mention: Be sure to align the newly-spread dropouts so
they're exactly parallel and nicely lined up. An easy way to check is
to use two long screws as ersatz half-axles. Add washers (if
necessary) and nuts. Screw them to the dropouts so the heads are
outside, the nuts are against the insides of the dropouts, & the screws
point toward each other. Tweak the dropouts as necessary.

It's easy.

- Frank Krygowski