Old February 16th 18, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default my fixie doesn't need improvement

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 12:25:29 PM UTC-6, Joerg
On 2018-02-14 09:22, AMuzi wrote:
but for some of you...

https://cyclingindustry.news/new-pat...n-bike-system/

And then, way out in the boonies, your battery gives out.

The guys writing that patent may not have much of a clue about
serious MTB riding.

Have you ever ridden or lived with a bike with electronic
shifting? I doubt it.

No but I have met a guy who had a battery fail mid-ride and then
the front DR quit. Which was just peachy in the mountainous
region.

... Because anyone who has owned and ridden a Shimano Di2 bike
would fall on their butt laughing at your nonsense about a
battery giving out. Ha Ha Ho Ho. On my Di2 road bike the
batteries last 2 to 3 years between charges. Again that is 2 to
3 YEARS between charges. I suspect you replace your shift cables
more often than I charge the battery on my Di2 bike. Ha Ha Ho
Ho.

And just for your information. When a Di2 battery gets weak and
loses the ability to function, the front derailleur shifting
will stop first.

Exactly. And I don't want that to happen. Most definitely not on my
MTB.

... And then hundreds/thousands of shifts later, the rear
shifting will stop. So you have weeks or months of warning long
before the rear derailleur stops shifting with Di2.

IMO there is stuff that mankind doesn't need so badly. Power
windows, power locks, automatic transmissions in cars. Or electric
shifters on bikes. I've got none of that and I don't want any of
it.

Fine, but the likelihood of running out your battery on current Di2
is about the same risk as breaking a cable. And unlike a broken
cable, there is a flashing warning light before a Di2 battery dies.

I have heard different stories. Maybe the technology has improved by now
but what people said was that frequent FD shifting eats a lot of battery
juice. On my MTB I am shifting the FD all the time. Often hundreds of
shifts per ride, much more so than the RD. Similar on the road bike but
that sees way less shifting. I can see electric shifting work on a road
bike. But why? Heck, I don't even miss the index shifting I have on the
MTB when I am riding my road bike with friction shifters. It suffices.

Young riders, different story. Yesterday I came up on another rider at
the onset of an incline. KKKRACK ... rat-tat-tat ... clunk ... KRRRRK.
Turns out his dad had given him his mid-80's Medici which had lived as a
garage queen. Chrome plated fork and seat stays, almost zero miles on
it. What a bike! But ... friction shifters. It seemed like someone
driving a truck with non-synchronized gears for the first time.

Actually, in some situations ye olde friction shifters are better than
anything that came later. In situations where you must quickly shift
from a very high gear straight to almost the lowest, that can be
achieved in about one second simple by an opposite flick of thumb and
index finger on the downtube levers. Only with friction shifters. Ok, a
Rohloff or a similar hub transmission could also do that. Can Di2?

You can hand-wring about most anything on a bike. Those idiots! Why
did they put spokes in wheels! They break! Chains, derailleurs,
linkages -- look at all the stuff people break on their MTBs all the
time. You should ride a hard-tail SS with balloon tires if you're
looking for bullet-proof.

No, just needs to be sturdier, that's all. For example, O-ringed chains
as the motorcyclist have would be nice, cuts down on maintenance effort.

Other stuff has become available by now, such as ceramic-based brake
pads (so far only from Asian sources).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/