Old February 23rd 18, 11:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Inexpensive LUX meter from China to measure your bike lamp's output

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 4:14:39 AM UTC, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 15:09:34 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute
wrote:

... I wonder
if it is even possible to discuss light measurements without the
apparently incurable product endorsements, which incidentally is only
slightly less prevalent in the flashlight forums.

Oh, I don't back away from abstractions where relevant.

No, but you do change the subject, divert the discussion, and
otherwise avoid the original topic, which involves measuring lumens,
and not psychobabble. At least you've demonstrated that I was correct
in suspecting that it is pathologically impossible to stay on topic.

It's my thread and I couldn't care less about policing it to stay on topic. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

I'm an intellectual: as a reflex, I reach for my trusty Pickett
pocket slide rule. The saddle-leather slipcase is worn almost yellow,
but I feel naked without it, and they don't make them like that
any more...

Yech. Pickett slide rules were awful. However, they did make some
specialized electronic and microwave slide rules, that I wouldn't mind
having. Basically, a cheat sheet on the back of the slide rule:
http://www.sliderulemuseum.com/Pickett/Pickett_N515-T_Electronic_CIE_DonatedbyAndyKeller.jpg
http://www.sliderulemuseum.com/Pickett.htm

Ooh, I wouldn't mind one of those electronic ones either, complete with the formulae printed on them!

I take it the paper slide rules in one of your links were given away as promotions. I'd pay for one from the Radio Relay League of America, or the RCA Schools.

Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Here's my slide rule floating in space, a Pickett N600, the white one in the righthand piccie with Buzz Aldrin (the yellow one on the left that he took on another mission is the same, only in "eye-saver" yellow):
http://spaceflownartifacts.com/flown_sliderules.html
One wonders if Aldrin was allowed to take the saddle-leather case to the moon or if there was a cyclist with his little gramme scale saying "Tsch! Tsch!"

Andre Jute
When the going gets tough