Old February 27th 18, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default v-brakes

Ned Mantei wrote:

What hasn't worked for me is a special tool
like this one:
https://www.veloplus.ch/AlleProdukte...hevonTacx.aspx
In theory that tool holds the brake shoes
just where they should be, including with
proper toe-in. However, I always ended up
with the brake shoes at the lower/inner edge
of the rim (towards the hub). This isn't
good, because as the brake shoes wear and get
thinner the brake will engage farther down in
the rim. If it starts at the edge, later it
will be partly off the rim towards the
center**. So this could be a point 5 in
your list.

.... OK, how would you phrase that, except the
tool doesn't work as intended?

I thought about such a tool myself, a small
clamp basically, and not just for this brake in
particular, but just ended up with squeezing
them together manually so far...

I haven't worried at all about your point 4,
and just adjust the cable so that there is
minimal clearance between pads and rim.
Whether more or less than 39 mm would depend
on rim width, so not a constant for all bikes
(and for my BR-M750 the service instructions
anyhow say to have 45 mm or more).

OK, great, thanks!

--
underground experts united