Old April 19th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Brent P

Default Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

In article , Just A User wrote:

Upon mentioning VA Tech, I have to put in my two cents, Cho was a wack
job, but personally I think the right to bear arm part of the
constitution needs to be re thought. In countries, such as the U.K.
where gun control laws are very strict, they don't have incidents like
those at the campus on Monday.

1) They do.
2) Crime is up, as citizens cannot defend themselves. The criminals if
they don't have guns just use other weapons.
3) The UK government is becoming more controling. Recent legislative
activity in the UK includes having government employees busting into
people's homes to take items equal in value to any fines (such as parking
tickets) owed to the government.

Gun bans increase crime by making working conditions safe for criminals.
Allowing people to carry guns decreases crime by making working
conditions unsafe for criminals.

In the same part of the country there was another school shooting prior
to this one, except in that case students went and got their guns from
their cars and ended it at 3 dead. Relying on the police to do something
hours later is folly and bans will never keep the guns out of the hands
of someone bent on doing something.