Old June 19th 04, 12:24 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default published helmet research - not troll

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:41:36 GMT, "Shayne Wissler"
wrote:

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:16:19 GMT, "Shayne Wissler"
wrote:

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
.. .

Now what evidence do you have about helmets protecting against dented
skulls or brain injuries?

I have an idea for an experiment.

That's your evidence? That's speculation.

Let me guess. You must be a follower of Hume.

On the contrary, the thought experiment I gave is perfectly valid evidence,
from which a reasonable person would infer that some fraction of real-life
accidents would result in a lesser injury if a helmet were worn.

You're making a a big assumption -- that hitting a brick is similar to
the impact people get when they hit their head on the ground (which I
would guess -- note I am acknowledging the degree of specutation I'm
making) or a tree branch (which is the object in question). I think
that assumption is wrong insofar as it relates to any sort of likely
accident on a bke. But yes, if someone is riding where they will be
hit by falling bricks, a helmet sounds helpful.

JT