Old June 19th 04, 12:24 AM
Steven Bornfeld

Default published helmet research - not troll

Shayne Wissler wrote:
"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:16:19 GMT, "Shayne Wissler"
wrote:

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message

Now what evidence do you have about helmets protecting against dented
skulls or brain injuries?

I have an idea for an experiment.

That's your evidence? That's speculation.

Let me guess. You must be a follower of Hume.

On the contrary, the thought experiment I gave is perfectly valid evidence,
from which a reasonable person would infer that some fraction of real-life
accidents would result in a lesser injury if a helmet were worn.

Shayne Wissler

There is a germ of truth in the assertion that helmets won't prevent
death. This general feeling among safety experts seems to revolve
arount the assertion that serious brain injury from bicycle accidents
usually are not due to straight-on impact, but from torsional stresses
that a helmet is unable to eliminate. But this is like saying that a
seat belt shouldn't be worn because it won't save you from crushing
injury of the thorax in a head-on 60 mph crash.
Safety measures shouldn't be discarded because they are not 100% effective.

Steve