Old July 27th 05, 06:07 PM
SMS

Default Phone orders to Harris - A cautionary Tale

Jeff Starr wrote:
I needed to call Harris to supply my CC #, so that my order could be
completed.

I've ordered from Harris using their secure server. Was the item not on
their web site.

In any case, it's fine to send a cc# via e-mail. Split it into three
e-mails, two, each with 1/2 the digits, and one with the expiration
date. But the reality is that you're far more at risk from other types
of credit card fraud than the chance of someone intercepting an e-mail
with a CC#.

Some credit card companies allow the generation of single use credit
card numbers for a specific amount or a specific limit, see
"http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/internetprivacy/2004-05-10-single-use-credit_x.htm"

Harris is a valuable source of parts that cannot be found anywhere else
in the U.S.., so working around this issue is prudent.