Old April 17th 10, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Greg Evans

Default Ultegra shifter problem

On 4/16/2010 12:59 AM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:

gary, Will try to describe where the screw is that Graham spoke
about. You can see the screw (or where it should be) without
pulling back the rubber hood. With the bike resting on it's tires,
look up under the lever from the rear, in the area where the small
lever pivots. The order of pieces, from the front of the bike, is:
large lever, small lever, small plate (kind of "P" shaped). There
should be a screw that goes through a hole in the small plate into
a threaded hole in the large lever. My early Ultegra lever (the
left side one, that still has a screw) has what looks like an
ordinary round-headed screw. Also have a much later set of Ultegra
levers, they have screws with hexagonal outlines, and there's a
thin metal locking device with tabs bent inward against the sides
of the hexagon, looking to prevent the screws from loosening.

I lost one of those screws on my ~1999 vintage 105 STI's. I found that
the set screw from a Shimano brake shoe (the one that holds the
pad in) fits and works perfectly.

Greg