Old December 10th 19, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default In praise of Brooks saddles

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 22:47:04 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/9/2019 10:29 PM, Chalo wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

I unapologetically bash Brooks or any other leather saddle. There
is a reason beyond weight that no racer uses them.

Then what's the reason that so very many racers used to use them?

I think originally it was because there was nothing else as comfortable
for a cyclist doing really high mileage. There are still quite a few
with that opinion. My wife and I host touring cyclists, and Brooks
saddles are on quite a few of the bikes that stop by.

Eventually, alternatives to leather were found that were as comfortable,
lighter, and required less protection. Actually, I think that no other
component of the bike benefited from material science developments as
much as the saddle.

But as I said, many still say nothing is as comfortable as a Brooks
that's broken in to fit well. I'm not one of those folks.

(Some might say they are slavishly honoring tradition - that their
saddle choice is hide-bound.)

I tend to think that a fully broken in Brooks saddle is probably more
comfortable than a more modern plastic saddle but having said that it
DOES take a long time to break in a leather saddle :-)

On the other hand Brooks saddles are significantly heavier than a more
modern saddle :-(
--
cheers,

John B.