Old December 10th 19, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default In praise of Brooks saddles

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 3:29:28 AM UTC, Chalo wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

I unapologetically bash Brooks or any other leather saddle. There
is a reason beyond weight that no racer uses them.

Then what's the reason that so very many racers used to use them?

I have owned quite a few sprung Brooks and Lepper leather saddles over the years; I have none in service at the moment. I liked them when I used them.

For reasons of cost, weather resistance, clamp compatibility, maintenance, and noise, I have switched to rubber sprung plastic saddles. I don't have any regrets about that. But at the same time, I don't think it's a mistake to use leather saddles if their trade-offs aren't a deterrent.

Yes, if I were a commuter with my bike standing outside the office all day, I too might find a leather saddle too much of a bother.

I looked at those Leppers when I first heard you mention them about twelve years ago, and they're beautiful and superbly made but at the time I was thinking about getting my Cheeko 90 seat (like the bucket seat on an old-fashioned tractor) recovered in leather, so the Lepper got shifted out of consciousness.

Andre Jute
Funny, what I sit on more hours than on leather, is the plastic of a Hermann Miller Mirra office chair