Old October 1st 12, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Gear set up problem

On 1 Oct, 15:54, "Graham" wrote:
"AMuzi" wrote in ...
Sounds like minor if frustrating setup issues.
Ensure rear changer is vertical, not bent or damaged.

Thanks Andrew for the reply and your subsequent reply to another poster confirming the XTR should work with the STIs and providing a link to the Shimano tech doc.

After thoroughly going through the setup once again with no luck I finally removed the hanger from the drop out and discovered some paint on part of the mating face between the drop out and the hanger. Shoddy manufacure I guess. This is a relatively cheap carbon frame my friend imported from China.. Having cleaned the surface and made sure it was as flat as possible I replaced the hanger after which I got better but not perfect shifting performance. Looking from the back of the bike with it upside down the jockey wheels look to be vertical but slightly toe out relative to the sprockets. I am not sure if that would make a difference but given it is not my bike and a carbon frame I am not up for trying to line things up perfectly. I will leave that to one of our LBSs if my friend cannot live with the shifting performance I have achieved - shifts into all gears but with slow upshifting on the big ring from the very lowest gears (tight cable?) and slightly noisy running in the higher gears (chain Just rubbing on the smaller cog - slack cable?) on the small ring. All intermediate combinations fine.

From the Shimano tech doc you referenced I noted that it recommended that this mech should not be used on a bike with internally routed cables. Unfortunately my friend's bike has internally routed cables. Disconnecting the cable from the mech and working the STI seems to indicate the cable is moving very freely but I accept this is effectively a no load test. When under tension from the mech spring things could be different. Could this be a cause of some of the residual gear set up problem?

Thanks again,

Graham.

Ah well, there's none so blind as those who don't want to see.

perhaps someone else might like to help to point out there is a GS
(long arm) and an SGS (longer than long) pulley-cage and only the sgs
cage is stated as suitable by the manufacturer for the gear range
Graham has quoted..