Old April 11th 05, 07:48 PM

Default I'd like advice on replacing my shifting/braking levers

I'm an experienced roadie, but new to Mtn bikes. I bought a well used
1999 Jamis Dakota LX. It seems to fit well, but some components need
replacing.

The shifters are very 'sticky'. The little finger levers get in each
others way - I think that the deraillers are fine. I see lots of
brake/shifter units on eBay that may work for me, but which one? I
also have some 1988 brake levers from an old mtn bike that I used only
for paved commuting that I think I'd like to use - they allow a full 4
fingers on each side instead of just two - any reason to prefer the
shorter ones that bikes today have?

If I do use those brake levers, then I'm looking for shift levers that
are separate from the brakes. Is that easy to find? The bike is 8
speed on the back. I'm probably looking for XT level gear, tho I'm
open on that.

Thanks!
Erik Brooks