Old August 9th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

Default The price of lightweight balloons

On 8 Aug, 22:34, Andre Jute wrote:

If you ride a bike ona daily basis the manfacturers recommendations
mean diddly squat. *

What does frequency of use have to do with manufacturers'
recommendations, except in maintenance and replacement?

"diddly squat", been at the malt again, Andre?

Bigger and softer mean more comfort. *Too soft
means reduced control or tyre detatchment. *Too hard is just too hard,
dont go there. *That 1.5 bar will be for a particular rim which you
are probably not using and will be the safe running level at which to
prevent tyre detatchment. *

I imagine the 60mm balloons are specified at 1.5 bar for the ERTRO
recommendation of IIRC 21mm which was in force when the Big Apples hit
the market. In 2006 ERTRO also condescended to permit tyres up to 62mm
on 19mm rims.

I have noticed your imagination has run an absolute riot recently.

My rims are 25mm between the beads, so in theory at least, I could
reduce inflation pressure below the manufacturer's recommendation of
1.5 bar -- if I were a wiener. However bike and rider weigh in the
order of 115-118kg, so 1.5 bar is probably a sound guess at a minimum,
and for safety 1.6 bar asd a practical minimum. My roads have the
occasional pothole, which I often take at speed, which is why I like
2.0 bar. I did however for a couple of months run the tyres at 1.8
bar, falling to sometimes 1.65 bar before I reinflated, and there were
no adverse effects.

you dont say.

Your weight is also a consideration,
apparently 100kgf fits all. *So if you adjust your weight to 100kgf
all will be well.

I'm not worried about all being well with my tyres and tubes. I've
already laid in spares. If I lose 15-18kg, I'll be so svelte, I'll
have to give up cycling and become a model. You're out of this world,
Trevor. As if anyone would just lose an ungodly amount of weight to
suit the rating on their bicycle tyres...

....or their spooks.