Old March 28th 19, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Replace shifter cable

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 11:27:08 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/28/2019 10:04 AM, AK wrote:
I took my bike to a shop to have the shifter adjusted.

Often when I shifted to a new gear, I would hear a clicking sound.

The tech told me that my shifter cables were the metal type and that they stretched over time.

They have new ones that do not stretch.

I saw a video on replacing the cable and it looks like something I can do.

What are your thoughts?

Andrew and Jay have given your answers. I'll just add that I wonder
where the "tech" guy got his ideas.

It may be that he's like most guys, vulnerable to what Jobst used to
call the "male answer syndrome" - just make something up based on
whatever limited knowledge you may have, but never admit that you may
not know.

It also may be that he's got something he really wants to sell, and
recognizes that he can snag people with a fanciful sales pitch.

Metal bike cables do not stretch to any measurable degree. Other stuff
can happen to them, but not measurable stretch.

--
- Frank Krygowski

He told me it would be expensive to replace the cable. So I don't think he was trying to sell me something.

He charged $10 for the adjustment which I thought was fair.

Andy