Old July 15th 03, 06:17 AM
Bret Wade

Default In defence of the Lance era

I'm a Lance supporter, but IMO not a rabid one. Thinking about both past
and recent events it occurs to me that the Lance era has provided more
unique TDF moments than any other riders, despite frequent criticism for
being boring. And now in his quest for a 5th win, we finally have
suspense to go with it. Anyway, here's my list of unique Lance moments.
Challenge it if you can with that of another rider:

1. Post-cancer body change. No one else has reinvented himself to the
extent that Lance has. Jalabert and Kelly come the closest, but they
don't compare.

2. The Look. Actually, it wasn't the look that fascinated me, but the
monster leadout from Rubiera after Lance had played possum that
fascinated me about that incident.

3. Beloki crashes and Lance goes cross country. One man cruelly stricken
while in the same moment the other is blessed with luck and incredible
grace under pressure.

4. Ullrich goes cross country with mixed results. Lance waits showing
decency and fairplay to the only man who can beat him.

5. Lance and Pantani squabble after Mt. Ventoux. Not inspiring but
entertaining.

6. Lance's stage win dedicated to Casartelli (sp?)

7. Lance and Postal finally win the TTT.

8. Lance and Postal have a plan for the Passage du Gois.

9. Lance and Carmichael reinvent spinning.

10. Lance persecuted by the french over suspected drug use, leading to
press conferences and the "What am I on?" Nike commercial.