Old February 25th 18, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default v-brakes

On 25/02/18 11:36, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 25-02-18 00:07, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Here are a couple of pics to facilitate the discussion:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/brake/

I've heard that

1) the long spring pin should be in the middle boss hole

2) the pads/shoes/blocks should be slightly pointing inward on the
rim on the front end

3) the arms should be vertical

4) between the cable anchor bolt/cable clamp and the noodle/guide
should be 39mm of cable

Is there a trick/algorithm to achieve all this? I have put together
several but 1, 2, 3 don't come automatically for me

Concerning point 2, "toe-in", I just use the Kool-Stop brake shoes.
The back end is slightly raised, so the toe-in comes automatically.
Another possibility would be to put a piece of very thin cardboard
under the back end of the brake shoe when tightening the bolt.

What hasn't worked for me is a special tool like this one:
https://www.veloplus.ch/AlleProdukte...hevonTacx.aspx

A cigarette packet is made of just the right thickness card...

snip