Old February 21st 13, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Chain stretch - actual tech.

On 22/02/13 06:37, davethedave wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 18:35:49 +1100, James wrote:

I just came across this;

http://www.cantitoeroad.com/docs/con...ns_Stretch.pdf

I can't see whether the stretch was plastic or elastic. The length
doesn't appear to have been measured again with a 10kg load.

If it's plastic ... ouch! I hope it's not. I don't think it can be.

0.5% under 150 kg load. 39 tooth CR has a radius of about 79mm, and
175mm cranks gives a force multiplier of 2.2. A 75kg dude could easily
stretch a stretchy chain 0.5% just by standing on the pedals.

Wow! Manufacturer in manufacturer funded, manufacturer conducted research
proves our **** doesn't stink shocker!

It's right up there with a certain bicycle light manufacturer, eh?

Still, when it's the only test around... Or are there independent chain
tests available that you know of?

--
JS.