Old November 2nd 17, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On Wed, 01 Nov 2017 12:27:36 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-10-31 07:43, wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 8:14:01 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski
On 2017-10-29 17:09, Frank Krygowski wrote:

... let me repeat: I've had some motorists act displeased when
I've ridden at lane center. I've never had one run me over.
I've never known another cyclist who had that happen.

I knew two personally who have been hit from behind. They
survived but one lost a kidney and the other had a ruptured
spleen. Then there was the woman here who got rear-ended in the
right lane at high speed. Died. Numerous others down in the
valley, including an off-duty police officer who was catapulted
off his road bike and died.

And I can double check my list, but I think it's now up to nine
friends who were killed in motor vehicle accidents. Zero on
bicycles. We can trade anecdotes (and you frequently do) but I give
more credence to unbiased data.

It doesn't pay to be timid. Man up.

Why take the risk when there are alternatives such as this?

https://goo.gl/maps/XJk1gMRC2eA2

Here's why I "take the risk," Joerg. First, the risk of being hit
while riding lane center is extremely low. Most of those hit that
way seem to be unlit cyclists riding at night, probably drunk or
nearly so. Data's a bit soft, but that does seem to be what it
shows.

But more important: If I waited for "alternatives" such as the one
you show to be built, I would have missed about 45 years of
enthusiastic adult riding. I'd have missed riding in about a dozen
different countries, 47 states and hundreds of different towns and
cities. I wouldn't have been able to ride my bike to work at four
different jobs. I'd have missed wonderful vacations with my family,
and I'd have missed making at least a hundred good cycling
friends.

I know many people have bought the "Danger! Danger!" mantra and
never leave the nice, safe (and horridly boring) bike path. I chose
instead to learn to be competent on ordinary roads. And I'm damned
glad I did.

We pretty much agree with this. I don't have to worry any more about
riding a bike around dangerous drivers than I would driving a car.
But that is a clear and present danger because the police no longer
enforce driving laws. Yesterday I was driving up the street and some
woman pulls a large SUV out of her driveway directly in front of me
forcing me to slam the brakes on. It is common for women especially
to pull out of parking lots or other driveways looking to the right
when traffic comes from the left.

With me that happened yesterday. School bus from the other side, driver
backed out of driveway with gusto into the school bus' path, the bus
driver swerved around and into my lane. If I had been lane center I'd be
in the hospital or morgue today. Luckily I rode AFRAP, the hydraulic
brakes of my MTB came on prontissimo and I was able to leave the road
without crashing because, well, it was an MTB.

Yes, the offending driver was a woman but I've seen guys do that as
well. She was visibly shaken by all that.

Gee Joerg, you must be riding on very crooked roads. The city streets
I ride on are straight enough that I can see, oh probably 50 feet in
front of me, and by watching I can see vehicles, way down the road,
that might be meaning to drive out into traffic and even braking by
dragging your feet lets you slow down enough to avoid them.

I think the modern term is "Defensive Driving" and it is usually
defined as "Its aim is to reduce the risk of collision by anticipating
dangerous situations, despite adverse conditions or the mistakes of
others."

Of course, the (also modern) street definition is "get your head out
of your arse". A bit impolite perhaps... but memorable.
--
Cheers,

John B.