Old October 25th 03, 12:32 PM
Arthur Harris

Default Fla. 8-Year-Old Gets Traffic Ticket For Bike Mishap (irresponsible idiot parents refuse to pay)

"Hunrobe" wrote:

It rarely happens but here in Illinois if a child is fined by a judge the
parents are held responsible for payment. Even if the original charge is a
non-jailable offense a parent's refusal to pay (as opposed to inability to

pay)
can result in a contempt citation and contempt of court *is* jailable. I

doubt
it would happen but it could be interesting.

In some states, parents are only responsible for the "willful misconduct" of
their kids. If the kid didn't deliberately cause the damge, they're off the
hook. (I learned that from watching Judge Wapner on "The Peoples Court.")

Personally, I think the kid and/or parents should face some consequences.

Art Harris