Old July 24th 03, 07:10 PM
Mark Janeba

Default Thoughts on Cinelli Super Corsa??

Donald Gillies wrote:
Eurastus writes:
Many moons ago (like 24 years--back in 1979) when I first started serious road
riding as a freshman in high school, one of the guys I rode with quite
regularly had a beautiful Cinelli with a brand new Campy Nuovo Record group--he
even had a Cinelli saddle. What a bike.

[snip]
Unfortunately, these are apparently not the same bikes as the 1970's
bikes. I believe that the production of Cinelli bikes left the
Cinelli family sometime in the 1980's or 1990's and cinelli is now
just another corporation out to make a quickie buck.

[snip]
A lot of people are critical of the modern Super Corsa, but i don't
know why. Has the workmanship gone downhill ??

That's what I've been told by a few sources - more mass-produced than
formerly, less time spent on each frame. If you could examine a bare
frame (e.g. see inside the BB to examine brazing), it might tell a great
deal. Maybe even a built-up frame (examine work around seat cluster).

For a lovely lugged Italian handmade with fine workmanship, you may want
to consider Mondonico.

Mark Janeba