Old June 9th 18, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Chain waxing

On 2018-06-07 12:15, Tosspot wrote:
On 07/06/18 07:13, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 3:50:29 AM UTC+1, ERSHC wrote:

[...]

I'm much too lazy to waste energy on internal
gears or on oiling a chain every 100 miles.

Now that's the sort of cyclist I like hearing about. Though I don't
quite see how an IGH would "waste" your energy. A Rohloff, for
instance, has 14 evenly spaced gears, a fat range, and an instant
change, through several gears in an instant, if you wish. Oh, and the
Rohloff is definitely more efficient than a dirty chain and
derailleur, according to reliable German tests.

Me, I'd keep my dérailleur clean and solve that problem.Â* Save some
weight as well.

And a TON of money.

Yep. IHGs are a bit of a niche market. 4 of my current bikes have
them, one has a derailleur. That Derailleur is dry miles only and is a
good solution. The others are rain, ice, snow, salt & grit. IHG are a
better solution.

I've tried the Hebie chain gliders as well, and haven't been so
impressed with them, but if you have IHGs, a good chain case is really a
must or you lose some of the advantages.

I have two Rohloffs. Are they worth it, not compared to an Alfine-11
imho, but, they are very, very nice. In red of course, cos that goes
faster :-)

I trashed two 8-speed Nexus Premium IHG before 3000m, and my Rohloff has lasted ten years, so I think it is worth the money. Also, I suspect that if I electrified the Nexus gearboxes, I'd trash them well before 3000m. The Rohloff just shrugs off anything and everything. An indefinite lifespan seems a bargain to me, whatever it costs.

Andre Jute
Economist, not a sophistry