Old June 11th 18, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Chain waxing

On 2018-06-10 11:03, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

I use a syringe, but I do get drips and drabs from the fill port
or the lever port. Not much. You just wipe it off.

Water in DOT boils out. That's what happens in the open systems on
motor vehicles. Unfortunately bikes don't have those but if you
were truly concerned about having to recycle that miniscule
quantity you could just boil it off.

Anyhow, I would not mind a Shimano brake system because I don't
ride that hard (anymore). However, having seen a guy in front of me
lose his front brake on a long downhill was a sobering lesson.

Why did he lose his front brake? What sort of fluid was he using? Did
he have a leaking lever or caliper? Good pads (organic or metalic)?

I don't remember. He said the lever suddenly pulled all the way to the
handlebar and braking on the front was completely lost. After resting a
while after that sort of shock it had come back.

I don't do super-crazy, dangerous gnarly mountain biking, so I can't
speak to what is needed there, but mineral oil has proved to be more
than adequate for my road/gravel discs.

For a road bike or CX I would not mind at all. For a new road bike I'd
even consider cable disc brakes but not rim brakes. Even for my MTB
riding non-DOT disc brakes would be ok because on the rare occasions
where I do very long and curvy descents I stop here and there to take in
a nice view. I am a trail rider, not a downhill bomber. In fact, a
Shomano brake set is on my shopping list in case the PRomax Deciphers
ever give up. So far they just don't.

For serious downhill riding I'd always recommend DOT-brakes.

... Shimano also manages heat
with its "Ice tech" rotors and finned pads (still not going to lick
my rotors after a descent).

Well, I don't want to spend lots of money on fancy mitigation measures
just because the brake fluid type is sub-par. I use Shimano SM-RT66
8-inch rotors front and back on the MTB. The brakes are Promax Decipher
with DOT-4 and the pads are ceramic-based from Hangzhou-Novic. Way more
brake power than I ever need.

... Plus, for road riding, ordinary rim
brakes are fine.

As long as it does not rain or hail hard, then they are the pits.

... I prefer discs in the rain, which was all my riding
this weekend. Braking was the least of my concerns. I was much more
worried about traction, particularly after a long dry spell.

When I saw a stand of poison oak at the last second on Friday I was sure
glad I had powerful disc brakes. I still did brush against some and have
a slight rash here and there but with weaker brakes that would have been
a different story.

Last year it was a bit more drastic, same singletrack. Saw a big fat
rattlesnake at the last second. Whew. If you can't brake hard there it
could mean weeks of misery and thousands in co-pay for the expensive
antivenom.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/