Old June 12th 18, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Chain waxing

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 2:14:03 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 6/9/2018 8:13 AM, Joerg wrote:

Wax isn't a good lubricant but most good wax oils like mine are a mix of
synthetic oil and wax. Has to be mixed up before each application by
vigorously shaking the bottle.

It's rather amusing that after it was pointed out, by numerous experts,
that wax is not a good lubricant, suddenly the narrative changed and now
it's "wax mixed with oil."

Bull****, as usual. I talked about wax mixed with a bit of oil from my first
post on the topic on Usenet. I explained that IME pure wax began squeaking
too soon, especially after a rain; and that blending in a small amount of oil
fixed that.

So once you lose the advantage of wax not attracting dirt, dust, etc. by
adding in the oil for lubrication, how much of the benefit of the
cleanliness of wax is retained?

Nothing on a well-used bike is _perfectly_ clean. But the wax-oil blend is
clean enough that, for example, cleaning cogs and chainrings happens no more
than once per year, and is done with just a towel wipe. If it's been
50 miles or so since the last wax application, one might get a visible dark
grey smudge on a pair of dress khaki pants; but then again, maybe not. If that
possibility bothers you, you can backpedal the chain through a rag or paper
towel and your khakis will be safe for another 50 miles, at least.

If you drop a chain and have to lift it onto the chainring, your fingers will
probably have a very light smudge. That dirt won't transfer to other things you
touch. In other words, the cleanliness is immeasurably better than any oil
lube, unless you're a person who cleans and polishes your chain every ride.

I admit, I never tried the wax/oil
mixture, but I have tried pure wax. I have also tried pure oil.

You should also admit that you refuse to read the links regarding wax-based
lube and extended chain life or lower friction. I've posted those links
many times, yet you still spread opinion-based inaccuracies.

I don't believe in recreational bicycle chain maintenance. I don't want
to remove the chain from the bike for cleaning and lubrication. I don't
want to use a toothbrush to individually clean each link. I don't want
to drip drops of oil on every link or use a propane torch to melt was on
every link.

I do want to clean the chain on the bike, and get it clean, inside and
out. I do want the lubricant to get onto the pins and rollers and not
just be on the outside of the chain.

Your fantasies about where you think the lubrication goes or doesn't go are
irrelevant.

What you _should_ want is a chain drive that is efficient and lasts long, with
not too much fussing. I've described my wax lube method in detail. Others have
described theirs. Overall, it requires far less fussing and gives better
results, especially since the need to clean the bike is tremendously reduced.

But if you're happy cranking your chain through solvent chambers and anointing
it with this month's magic oil, have at it. Just, please, stop telling us
that we're not observing what we're observing.

- Frank Krygowski