Old June 12th 18, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Chain waxing

On 2018-06-11 19:24, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Unlike you, my braking is not a constant series of "last second"
emergencies. On that ride, as on all others, I planned ahead and slowed
sufficiently with ease. I probably came to a complete stop only a few
times during that ride home.

The main concern here is loose dogs running into your path, from ranches
and other properties. Sometimes from behind bushes. Then there are wild
animals, some of which would easily win first prize for utmost
stupidity. They look you in the eyes _while_ running straight into your
path. How do you plan ahead for that? Who is your crystal ball manufacturer?

My first seven years of avid adult cycling were in a small town and the
surrounding countryside in the U.S. deep south. That's a place where loose dogs
abounded and had as many rights as people; just ask their owners.

It was abnormal to do a bike ride and not be chased by at least one dog. On
many rides we were chased as often as once per mile. We were chased by packs
of as many as 12 dogs. And for extra spice, there were times we defended
ourselves from attacking dogs (perhaps by using Halt or throwing rocks) and
owners yelled at us "You leave my dog alone!"

I know all about dogs chasing bikes. Yet I never recall a panic stop
necessitated by a dog. That's more Joergian fantasy.

My wife collided with a dog that suddenly changed direction and ran in
front of her on a shared path. She went over the bars.

Last week when I left home early in the morning, I had one wallaby cross
the road right in front of me while its mate bounded along the road
beside me before turning away, and then another took fright at me
passing and (thankfully) darted away rather than across the road in
front of me - as they are prone to do.

My brother was with a bunch where a wallaby tried to go under another
rider's bicycle. That didn't end well. A kangaroo was videoed recently
bounding into a cyclist on a road near Brisbane, IIRC. A local fellow
was taken off his motorcycle recently, by a wallaby that collided with
his bike on a corner within 100m of our house.

I'm not saying it happens often. Rare actually. But it does happen.

I've hit the brakes a few times recently in fear of a wallaby trying to
escape in front of me. I take it as a part of the environment in which
I live.

Your environment is obviously different.

--
JS