Old September 13th 03, 07:26 AM
Alfred Klek

Default Riding a century

Good question. Unfortunately, I don't know. There's no route posted. I
ride in a hilly area, in fact my ride is pretty much all hills. I do know
that we're starting on the coast of CT, so unless the route is along the
coast, there's going to be hills.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply

Hey hey, i'm from CT. well, the coast is flat as is much of the central
section of the state, as you go north anywheres else there are hills. since
CT is pretty small, it's going to be pretty hard to make a flat century.
The good part is that it's pretty hard to ride 100 miles in CT without it
being beautiful for most of it. there's a few ugly cities but
proportionally more pretty stuff especially in the northern corners (i used
to live in Mansfield in the "quiet corner" very pretty and nice riding).
Where are you riding? Where are you from? there's a good chance you
already are used to the extremes of CT topographyif you're from here, it's
pretty consistant once you get about 10 miles from the shore. just as an
offhand estimate you're probably looking at rolling hills maxing out in the
north at maybe 200 ft. vertical displacement and pretty steep. The hardest
thing i've found about riding long distances in those hills is that they
just keep coming, one after another forever and ever. as always the fight
is mental, not physical. slap it in a low gear and spin up to the top if
you have to and take them in stride. best of luck
Alfred