Old January 15th 05, 06:32 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I'm about to buy one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

"The guys at the pro shop can't believe the great deal I got!~AAA+++
Unbelievable! Bike really is worth over $3000! I Highly recommend. Thanks"

If that "wonderful feedback from our customers" doesn't set off some alarms,
nothing will. You're looking at a bike with very cheap parts (not saying
bad, just cheap), many of which are found on $400 mountain bikes at your
LBS. Deore derailluers, mind you. Not XT, not even LX. Plain old ordinary
Deore (verified in the photo of the rear derailleur). The fork? Anybody's
guess, as Suntour is known only for forks found on bikes under $300 in the
US.

Please consider the various red flags, and what these folk are appealing to.
They could have been honest about its value, but aren't. Time and time again
I see people suckered into believing that a bike is worth 2, 3, 4, or in
this case, FIVE times its selling price. It goes against all logic that this
could possibly be the case, and the evidence shows that it isn't. And if
they're that dishonest about what it might be worth, who knows what else
might be amiss?

Seriously, it might be an OK deal, but it's not even close to the deal
they're claiming it is. We have customers bringing in bikes like these from
time to time, killer deals they think they could have gotten only on eBay,
and have somehow outsmarted the system.

Looking at another of their past auctions-

we have a claim of "2005 Pro Shop Retail Price List for this Bike is $950."
Such a deal when the buy-it-now price is only $350, plus $45 shipping.
Except that similar dual-suspension bikes in a shop with Alivio components
and an RST forks with cheap disc brakes would sell for maybe $450 at a shop.

There are some legit good deals on eBay, particularly with used bikes if you
know what to look for and how to make sure it's the right size. But when a
seller makes such outrageous claims, it ought to tell you that something
might be too good to be true.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com