Old April 3rd 05, 04:20 PM
jj

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:56:56 +0000 (UTC), Chicago Paddling-Fishing
wrote:

jj wrote:
: Yesterday was a pretty good day as I hit 30mph on the flats for the first
: time. Granted I could only hold it for 10-15 seconds when the road started
: up hill, but uh, yay, me.

Didn't it just plain feel too fast? I was doing 36 (downhill) and
started thinking... "Any slipup and I'm gonna really hurt..."

Oddly it didn't feel that fast. I wonder if there's some kind of
stabilizing gyro thing happening that makes it feel more stable above 25 or
so. I've felt this a few times, very subjective, probably no basis in fact.
(Obviously, unlike downhill, you let up for a second and the speed rapidly
drops off as well adding to the less 'out-of-control' feeling.)

Downhill, yes it feels much faster (to me). The highest speed I've let
myself go downhill is 35-36, being a newbie clydesdale rider. (In my
University days at a skinny 155 I never worried about speed, but ya know
the bigger you are... ;-) )

jj