Old January 28th 05, 07:19 AM
Jason Allemann

DigitalDave wrote:
*Fun stuff.

I got Q's though.

1. What kind of camera?
2. What format does your camera produce?

Cuz,

I'm amazed at the quality for the size of your video.
(My Kodak creates a .MOV of only 30 seconds for 14mb ) *

I have a Sony DCR-TRV38 MiniDV video camera. I capture the video to my
computer in DV-AVI format, which is high quality and very large - ~200
MB for 1 minute of footage. I keep it in this format until I'm finished
the movie, at which point I have (in this case) a 604 MB avi file.

The quality/size you get in the end depends on the quality you start
with and whatever you use to do the compression. I currently use the
Windows Media Player 9 series encoder (freely available from Microsoft's
website) which is an MPEG-4 based encoder. You will get similar (or
better) results from other MPEG-4 based encoders as well (ie, DivX).

I've never tried to compress .mov files before so I'm not sure what
software is available to do that, but I'm sure you can find info online.
Maybe someone else who's done it can chime in. I find the following
site to have a wealth of information on pretty much anything you want to
do with video: http://www.videohelp.com

Jason Allemann - It's Go Time
Jason Allemann's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3702