Old September 11th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

Default selecting a BB

On Sep 11, 5:15 am, wrote:
I'm upgrading the drivetrain of my '85 Mondonico to Campy 10 speed. I
have a very recent Record 10 speed double crank, and the frame has
Italian (duhh!) threading, and I know it needs a 102 mm spindle.

There aren't many BB choices, but still ... should I get Record?
Chorus? Token? Phil? Light weight is significant but more important
is durability, especially when higher cost seens to get lower
durability, as with a Record.

Record has a lighter spindle than Chorus, otherwise idential in terms
of bearings. The durability with Record and Chorus is the same since
same bearings. Phil is a nice unit and as Record/Chorus BBs get a wee
bit scarce(more expensive), Phil becomes a nice choice..what I have on
my rain bike.

Is this durability concern just a smokescreen? I won't be racing the
bike and I'm not hard on things. Sometimes I pedal hard enought to
flex the BB but not usually. I'm certainly not a sprint monster.

See above.

I'm tending toward a Chorus or a Token, mainly due to price and
weight. But if there's no liability to putting in a Record I might
get a low-mile used one if I believe I found one.

See above..NO difference in durability between Record and Chorus(never
heard of Token)..don't know ehere this info comes from. NOT in our
expoerience at all.

What about Token durability? Does everything fit right relative to
original Campy? Is there an extra benfit, perhaps chainline
adjustment?

Get the Phil iffa ya want chainline adjustment.

You get my drift!

Ken