Old March 3rd 18, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default The lone 26er in a forest full of 29ers and 27.5ers

On 2018-03-02 15:22, John B. wrote:

I'm not sure that the animal, other then some dogs, actually feels any
emotion for a human. Horses, for example, will react to most people
that pet them.

They do but they usually need to know you. There is a large horse ranch
on the singletrack to Placerville which I ride a lot. Some of the horses
come to the fence when they see me approaching yet they know I never
bring them treats because that isn't appropriate unless I have
permission. I never asked there because it's also a boarding place where
I would't allow it if I were the property owner.

Those horses like to meet me, affection without expecting anything in
return. While some like their noses rubbed others do not like to be
touched at all yet they come. One day two other MTB riders were standing
at the fence trying to cajole the horses into coming. They couldn't be
bothered until I joined up. Why would they come if they didn't feel some
emotional bond?

Probably because they recognize you as a source of carrots, apples, or
other goodies. I suggest that if you give $10 to the next guy you see
begging on the street you will invoke exactly the same "emotional
bond" that you note with the horses. When he sees you he will be right
there with his hand out.

But he claims has not fed those horses.

Maybe Jorge does look more like a friendly animal than the other bicyclists?
Though I suspect the horses saw his large bags or smelled grainy brewing
substance residue or his homemade muesli bars -- while the other MTB riders
only had small backpacks and smelled like racer guys who had thrown
non-tasty plastic bottles and gel wrappers into their habitat.

The horses obviously feel some magical and spiritual bond with Joerg, particularly the rainbow colored ones. http://images6.fanpop.com/image/phot...-2048-1536.jpg

If Joerg has created an "emotional" bond with the horse, which emotion? Perhaps the horse is plotting an escape, and is cultivating a false friendship with Joerg to ultimately use his body as a battering ram to break-down the paddock fence. Those horses are super-smart and cagey. Perhaps the horse has spotted a rube and is setting him up for some sort of con. Maybe while he's petting one horse, another horse is taking his wallet. I've seen them do that.

-- Jay Beattie.