Old April 7th 07, 06:27 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bruce Jensen

Default Rules of the Trail...my own private list

On Apr 6, 9:57 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On 4 Apr 2007 13:23:47 -0700, "
wrote:

On Apr 4, 3:59 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
But what I kept finding was that sometimes non-cyclists take "On your
left" the wrong way - not comprehending the meaning. I'd get back
the occasional something to the effect of "So does yer mamma!"...

I ran into this often in Salem & Boston, where the trails and paths
get a lot of hikers, walkers, kids and pups. I found "coming through
on your left" to be about 95% effective, as opposed to a simple "on
your left" being closer to 50%. It's a touch of extra breath to get
those extra two words out, but it's less than is required to get back
up to speed after someone turns into your path to see what's "on their
left" (and that's assuming you don't hit them or crash, hindering your
progress even more.

What an attitude! You have absolutely no right to pass where or when
you like. Bikers are supposed to yield right-of-way, and thus should
wait till the hiker or equestrian tells you where to go.

On mountain biking, I'm with you.

When I ride my bike, I only ride in wider paths, such as dirt roads.
If two cannot fit very comfortably by or there is poor visbility
anywhere, I don't use that trail. I always - ALWAYS - say something
like "Hellooooo, passing on your left/right" from a good distance
back, sometimes twice, when there is ample room, just so as to not
startle folks. If there is not ample room because the walkers are
wandering about, I ALWAYS say, "Hellooooo, I'd like to pass please,"
then let them decide how to address the passing issue. This is only
basic courtesy. I have found that people generally appreciate this,
and those who recognize me usually have friendly dispositions. Many
say, "I wish the others would do what you do."

I encounter many cyclists who are just idiots. They warn nobody,
weave around scaring people, and hit animals who can't get out of the
way enough. When they do something stupid, I tell them. Most keep on
going as though they are deaf, typical of spoiled children who think
they can get away with something.

I do not use trails where I cannot avoid placing wild animals at
risk. They are precious and just as important as people.

I get the impression, just from observation, that most cyclists are
buttheads. Arrogance and elitism of any kind are no good. It's too
bad, but you people get no sympathy from me.

Bruce Jensen, apparently one of the last few responsible cyclists on
Earth.