Old October 2nd 03, 01:07 PM
David Kerber

Default buying my first road bike

In article ,
says...

I also tried a more commuter-style road bike by Cannondale that just
had straight handlebars, (don't remember the model) but in addition to
thinking I would like drop bars if I could get used to them, the big
ring on it didn't seem very big.

What would be a good entry level touring bike to try out? While the
touring bike would be more comfortable for longer loaded rides, is it
more slower than a traditional road bike when I just want to go fast
unloaded? (I'm sure I'll notice a big difference going away from the
mountain bike anyway) The R400 did not have a place for front racks -
I'd only need back for credit card touring but front would be nice if
I decide to go across the country and I think the rack still needed
just to clamp on on the back, as well some of the bikes seemed like
they would be awkward to equip with fenders, which would seem useful
for when it rains in the middle of the tour Do clip on fenders work
okay?

I love my 2003 Fuji Touring which I got earlier this year. 27-speed
Deore/Tiagra STI group, long wheelbase and 700x32c tires so it rides
smooth, comes with a rear rack, with mounts for fenders and front
rack. The rear rack can be easily removed if you're not carrying
anything. I like drop bars for the multiple hand positions and the
ability to get down out of the wind, and had no problem adjusting to
having just one set of brake levers since I normally ride on the
hoods anyway. (My old bike had "suicide brake" levers).

I paid slightly above your budget level (US$799), but you might find
it cheaper as a year-end close out. I'm 6' with short legs and long
arms for my height, and got the 58cm size; the 54 felt a bit cramped.
It's just a touch too big, but pushing the seat well forward makes it
feel good. I imagine the 54 cm size might be just right for you.

The 2004 model is essentially identical (a different model of rear
hub, IIRC) but is a different color.

Any tips on bike models to try, questions to ask, things to test out,
and what things to look for would be appreciated. I really am just
happy to ride and don't notice too much things like what the
components are so I wouldn't notice much difference between the models
on a short test ride.

So take a longer one! ;-)

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!