Old May 29th 06, 08:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Why People Mountain Bike: "the adventure of the ride is what gets my juices flowing"

On Mon, 29 May 2006 19:48:34 +1000, davebee
wrote:

first off lets do what mike never does and snip some of the crap Not
that he makes it easy cutting into the middle of sentances to post his
comments. Apologies for not colour coding it for those using an email
browser. I come in through cyclingforums because of the added security.
Jeesh.

davebee Wrote:

MV has not based his science on anything officially recognised and his
acusations that everything that goes against his "facts" is controlled
by a mountainbikers conspiracy is bizarre to say the very least.
Surprisingly, underneath all the crap and the egomania and the
accusations I think Vandeman makes a reasonably valid point to the
extent that wilderness should be protected.

MV Wrote:

And wildlife. You forgot that part.

wilderness, wildlife... whats the diffence?[/color]

I'm glad you admit not knowing the difference.

The wilderness implies the
area and everything contained therin.

Right, but not all habitat is wilderness. DUH!

Your obtuseness requires that
everybody spells things out to you as if you are a 2 year old child
with mental health problems. And then you pounce ont he omission of a
single word or a slightly inadequate description. At least FOR THE MOST
PART people try to explain things for you without resorting to personal
insults.

davebee Wrote:
you also have to permit recreation away from developed urban areas.

MV Wrote:
This I agree with, howevert here is absolutely no reason to allow BIKES
off-road. THEY aren't alive, and don't need recreation. Are you really
THAT dense?

There is no need to be rude. The bicycle of course is a tool for people
to use to aid their enjoyment of the outside. because you fail to grasp
the idea perhaps you should consider this. I assume when you go walking
you wear a pair of hiking boots. Your boots are comparable to my bike,
given so much as they are a tool to aid your enjoyment. Likewise your
boots do not require recreation.

Okay, not tell me WHY you can't recreate without bring your bike onto
tre trail? Are you incapable of walking? In other words, Why should we
allow bikes off-road? Give me one good reason why I or any land
manager should allow bikes off-road. (Hint: there aren't any!)
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande