Old May 29th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

Default ebikes: lots of bad ideas

On Thu, 29 May 2008 09:54:38 +1000, John Tserkezis
wrote:

johns wrote:

Before I start building my ebike, I'm reading everything I can find
on what is available. So far, I'm learning more about what not to
get ..

Similar thing to what I keep telling people when they ponder the idea of hub
motors for assistance.

If you take the typical weight of a hub motor, batteries, and control
assembly, and lose that weight from around your now massive arse, you would
more than make up for it, and it cost a whole lot less than the asking price.

And I want to dispute the saving of $20K over three years. Against what? A
car? You can't compare apples and oranges you know.

Want to compare against another bike? Sure, take that $14K price tag,
donate it, buy Enron shares, burn it, whatever, and you'll save more than that
60 pounds in bike weight in body weight loss, and improvment in health over
the next few years, AND save that in healthcare costs.

Hub motors have their place, but not for those who have functional legs,
heck, even ONE functional leg is enough (seen a fellow commuter amputee who
did it without a damn motor).

Some of us "old guys" don't have the legs or the lungs to do the
distance we need to go without assistance - and particularly not
without getting all sweated up on the way to the office. With my
e-bike, I pedal, but not strenuously, for about 18 minutes to get to
the office instead of driving the van for 8 minutes. I get the
exercise I would not get driving, and arrive at work in better shape
than I ever would with my normal bicycle - which has not beed ridden
much over the last several yearsdue to a bad knee, among other things.
To do the trip with my old 21 speed bike would take me half an hour
and I'd arrive sweaty and worn out. There are several pretty good
hills on the route (the main highway is much leveler, but no bikes,
mopeds, e-bikes, pedestrians, etc allowed)

As a kid of about 15, I lost a pedal on a SINGLE SPEED bike 30 miles
from home, and rode it back, up hill and down. I'm not that young any
more!!!!