Old May 29th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

Default ebikes: lots of bad ideas

On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:35:47 -0700 (PDT), johns
wrote:

I rode motorcycles for 20+ years as my only
transportation ... and lived through it :-)
I could ride for days and just camp on the road,
and I never got tired of it. Only reason I stopped
was BMW started producing crap bikes, and
I sure wasn't going back to all that repair and
downtime with any other brand. BMW put garbage
brakes on all their new bikes, and I have a rule
about unsafe motorcycles. Only in the last year
have I even thought about it. There's a small
lightweight touring bike in Europe that looks just
like my old Penton 125cc Enduro. I had the 6-day
bike, and I rode it for a hundred miles in the dirt
in races. It would make a good modern road
bike. Mine got about 65 mpg, and it could have
been tuned down to get more. Only weighed
200 pounds. So, what I'm saying ... if I go
back to a motorcycle, it will be a real bike
with good handling. I'm seeing ebikes that I
think cross the line to emotorcycles ... and
are not safe at all.

johns

A lot of the socalled "e-bikes" I am seeing in Ontario are poorly
disguised electric motor scooters - which you would NEVER pedal in
normal use, and definitely no more than a block.

I sure like my Schwinn/Currie I-Zip from Canadian Tire.