Old February 8th 18, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

On 2018-02-07 07:01, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/7/2018 12:06 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 07/02/18 03:56, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/6/2018 1:52 PM, sms wrote:
My wife's Lezyne Deca 1500XXL stopped taking a charge, at
all. Taking it apart, I saw that the batteries were made
in July 2015. Not too good for it to stop working that
soon.

Some of my bikes have dynamos that are 30 years old. They
just keep going and going and going...

I bet the lights don't, as he peers at a collection of
CYOs[1] and a recently defunct Flat-S. Tbf the Flat S is
around 7 years old.

[1] Not one lasted 18 months, they simply aren't waterproof
imho.

My regular glass bulb lamps go 6~8 years between bulb
failure in daily
use. YMMV

Ye olde 2.4W + 0.6W with a dynamo? When riding at a good
clip, meaning north of 15mph, those never lasted much longer
than a month for me. Even if they didn't blow their filament
right away the bulbs turned black inside and became dimmer
than they were already to begin with. When I was a teenager
I started equipping my bikes with what the automotive
industry already understood over 100 years ago, brighter
lights, a battery and charging system. Soon the German
police wanted to give me a ticket for "non-standard"
lighting. Luckily by that time I was a Dutch resident and
they had to let me go.

Those 2.4W bulbs were a joke. My bikes (after my teenage
years) always had better lighting than that. Now it's all
LED on my bikes but the real stuff with more than 500 lumens.

For years with a Margil cover or, after a Krygowski mod with
O ring, and without a switch (always on) I have no
complaints about function or longevity. YMMV.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/