Old October 3rd 18, 03:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

Default Cyclists waste petrol

On 10/02/2018 04:42 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:37:49 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/30/2018 11:08 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Yes. Generally called spark plug wires in this country. They may be a
thing of the past. My Toyota doesn't have any but I don't know how
common that is.

It will, but they're concealed in one tube.

No concealment on the Toyota. It has Coil-on-Plug ignition.

https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/to...nition-coils-1

Why do they tend to put the coils on the plugs now instead of having one
big coil?

The last car I inspected may have had that, I'm not sure, all I know is
there was a bar that clipped over all the plugs, with one thick wire
leading to it.

It eliminates the moving parts of the distributor and the high tension
wires. Even without the old mechanical points, that is still a couple of
areas of potential failure. The ECU is capable of delivering a timed pulse.