Old October 20th 18, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default those darned NYC cyclists again

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 13:34:30 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 9:11:43 PM UTC+1, wrote to Jeff Lieberman:

I do like the electrochromic paint though I would make it digital hands.
This also allows you to connect with the readout via your smartphone for
any number of things such as your heart rate and even brain wave pattern
via the wrist nerve endings.

Well, here's you chance to win up to $10 million:
http://www.tricorderproject.org
https://tricorder.xprize.org/prizes/tricorder
All the suggested tests can easily be performed while not moving. A
few have problems while moving. At this time, cramming it all into a
small enough package seems to be the major challenge.

I haven't worked out the details of using electrochromic paint on the
body yet. I suppose we'll see it first in the tattoo and body
painting sector as the first animated tattoo. The clock will follow
shortly.

The limiting factor on a stick on or paint on watch is the number of
wires between the display and the controller. With analog, it can be
done with as few as 13 wires as one per hour plus common ground (if I
discard the second hand). With a 7 segment display, the minimum is:
4 digits * 7 segments + common_ground + 2 for_AM/PM = 31 wires
Dot matrix requires even more wires.

Connection to a smartphone will likely be using BTLE (Blue Goof Low
Energy) because it's becoming quite common, uses little power, and is
cheap.

Powering such a device is a big problem. Initial models will probably
use a LiPo battery, but if the power drain is low enough, energy
harvesting devices might be sufficient.

What I'd really like is a wris****ch that can tell my blood pressure in real
time rather than merely intermittently. It would be great if it could have
enough juice to run for 18 hours which is about my longest day these days.

"A real blood-pressure smar****ch is coming from Omron this year"
https://www.cnet.com/news/omron-heartguide-blood-pressure-smar****ch-ces/
That was Jan 2018 and I haven't seen anything yet. My cardiologist
has a patient that is allegedly testing the device, but he didn't want
to give me his name or contact info. Basically, it's smaller version
of the common wrist BP meter. Hopefully, it will work better than the
common wrist BP meter, which I've found to be rather inaccurate.

Here's one that is intended to be worn 24x7.
https://thehear****ch.com
It talks to a smartphone via Bluetooth. Looks like they cut some
corners on the charge controller and BMS (battery management system).
From the FAQ:
How Long Does a Single Charge Last
A single charge will last about 4 to 5 days and takes
approximately 1 hour to fully charge. You should not
charge your Heart Watch for more than 90 minutes to
protect the battery life.

I believe measuring blood flow would be more accurate than a wrist
cuff pressure meter (but I'm not sure because I haven't tried it):
How does the Heart Watch Work?
The Heart Watch has two ultra-sensitive sensors on the back
of the watch that track the blood flow through your wrist as
well as the pulse. This allows the watch to determine with
a high degree of accuracy your heart beat rate as well as
your estimated blood pressure.

I'm not at the point (yet) where I need 24x7 monitoring. Talking to
my cardiologist, he's more interested in the EKG record before and
after I experience a "cardiac event" than in my BP history. So, I'm
looking at one of these EKG sensors and softwa
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Kardia-Mobile-EKG-ECG-Apple-Android-Omron-Blood-Pressure-Heart-Rate-Health/173512133476
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FDA-Portable-Color-ECG-EKG-Machine-PM10-Heart-Beat-Monitor-USB-Bluetooth-LCD-US/282316807686
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAL-FORCE-PRINCE-180B-Handheld-ECG-EKG-Portable-Heart-Monitor-Software-USB-LCD/173108478889
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Handheld-ECG-EKG-Monitor-Recorder-ChoiceMMed-100B-Unit-w-o-extras/283079597292
(etc...). I've bought two of the 100B models (bottom URL). I lost
one on a long exercise walk. The other was confiscated by a former
lady friend when she developed heart problems. I'm looking for
something better. For about two years, I had an arrhythmia (erratic
heart beat) problem, which would drive the pulse counters insane. If
you have the same problem, you'll need to check if your pulse counter
works. None of the low end pulse oximeters worked. The higher end
units were smarter and simply extended the sampling time, averaged
over a longer interval, threw away any insane numbers, and produced a
usable number within programmable variation limits (usually 10%).

Andre Jute
Technofreak

Real technofreaks disassemble their toys to see what's inside and how
they work BEFORE using them.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D