Old November 22nd 18, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Chain Lube?

On 11/21/2018 8:40 AM, wrote:

snip

The Park chain cleaner really isn't all that effective. You end up replacing the solvent several times even on what looks like a clean chain. And the end result is a chain that is so dry that you have a hard time making sure that it is completely lubricated. I had some "Teflon" lube from some company or another and would put one drop on each link. Very time consuming and usually the chain would be noisy and wear much faster. So I switched to IRC Gold chain which at the time was advertised as never having to be lubed for the life of the chain. Well they changed that advertisement directly after I paid through the nose for three of them. I still have one on the shelf and it weighs twice as much as my Campy chain.

Yes, with any of the chain cleaning devices you end up cleaning out all
the gunk as well as all of the lubricant and you end up with a "dry chain."

You need to use a lubricant that penetrates into the chain and onto the
pins and rollers, not one where you drip it onto the outside of the
chain but where it doesn't penetrate inside.

I use a foaming non-O-ring chain lubricant. Unsurprisingly, lubricating
your chain with a chain lubricant that has an evaporative carrier
designed to carry the lubricant into the chain is what works well. Of
course removing the chain and soaking it in a thin lubricant, perhaps
heated oil, also works, but is too much trouble.