Old September 12th 05, 10:50 AM
dabac

Default Bikes and Things Bikes - I'm kind of Ignorant

FunkyRes Wrote:

Most of my riding is on paved roads, but some of it is on gravel
roads,
and quite a few of the paved roads are full of giant pot holes. Riding through a pot hole can damage just about any wheelset out there,

but barring that a cyclocross or a hybrid shold work fineFunkyRes Wrote:
I prefer straight handle bars (like I have).Then you're looking at hybrids, MTB or a customized setup. Flat bars

usually can be adapted to most bikes.
FunkyRes Wrote:
There are a couple hills I take that are steep enough coming down that I
wish I had disk brakes - hydro discs can be fiddly but does provide great stopping power. Mech

discs are usually considered more robust, but might have clearance/drag
issues. Unless you're having trouble stopping(and your brakes are set up
properly) or your rims overheating, then rim brakes are still cheap,
light weight and amazingly simple gadgets.
FunkyRes Wrote:
and that I wish I also had a taller gear to maybe build up a little more
speed. An 8/9-spd cassette hub will probably fit a slightly smaller smallest

sprocket that what you're currently using, but if you really need a
taller gear you need another crankset.

FunkyRes Wrote:
I can't get into granny gear (gear 1 on left shifter) anymore

Wires can stretch under use. [url]http://www.sheldonbrown.com] offers
good advice how to adjust things like that.
FunkyRes Wrote:
But I want something really good that can take some abuse if needed,
better than what I have.

A bike is not a tank. A single-speed downhill bike would be about as
rugged as it gets, but fixed objects collision or slamming into cars is
a bit outside the survival specification for anything. Hub gears will
rid you of the protruding derailleur but have their own issues.

--
dabac