Old October 9th 11, 08:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Phil H[_2_]

Default dunlop

On Oct 7, 1:17*pm, F Murtz wrote:

probably why it was thrown out, although it looks in good nick except
for rusty chain.

It could well have been thrown out *because* of the rusty chain. Given
the number of abandoned bikes chained to various objects around inner
Sydney, I can only surmise that mountain bikes are now so cheap that
they aren't worth anything once they get a bit ratty. Even thieves
don't want them.

After a few months, the scavengers come; they bust the lock and take
what's left. I'd like to think that they use the carcasses to build up
working bikes that they then sell for a pittance. Than again, it could
just be the council hauling them off to the tip.

-- Phil