Old August 14th 17, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

writes:

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 6:51:19 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Some people here complain about frequent close passes. It happens to me
only rarely - I'd say roughly once per 100 miles of riding, which would
be once in at least 1000 cars. And almost none of those include any horn
blaring or yelling.

But then, I tend to ride more toward lane center than many cyclists.

Yesterday was Sunday and without job pressure they drive a lot more
relaxed. But I still got a couple of close passes in 50 miles. But I
was flabbergasted at the complete disregard for
stop-before-free-right-turn.

That is one of the least observed traffic rules ever. Compliance must
be well under 5% almost anywhere in the US. Next in line is refusing to
yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk while performing that right-on-red
turn.

Even directly in front of the auxiliary
police station with a cop right outside they didn't so much as slow
up. And at the main police station perhaps three cars drove right
through red lights.