Old March 9th 17, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Downward facing white lights for safety

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 5:22:26 PM UTC-5, Doug Landau wrote:
My taillight hopped off 5 miles from home at the end of a 500 mile tour. It was dark and the road got narrow and unlit so I strapped my flashlight to the left seatstay, pointed down, illuminating the roadway.

Looking at the result, I thought it did an absolutely great job of improving (creating?) visibility.

A useful product? A legal product? A marketable product? I have searched a few times over the years but found no mention of such a product, nor such a use of a light, nor any patents, nor laws regulating or prohibiting downward-facing lights. There are however as you know a lot of laws about what lights one can have on a vehicle, what color and direction and distance they go, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's illegal I just haven't found it yet.

I think it adds a lot more visibility than a red blinky.

dkl

Unfortunately here in Ontario, Canada any white light used as a taillight does NOT meet the Highway Traffic Act conditions and thus you'd not be legal.. The Act specifies that the rear light MUST be red. Years ago in the days of the Belt Beacon even that light did not make a bicycle road legal due to the factthat the lens was amber not red. the police told me to stick a red reflector somewhere on the rear of the bike and that'd make it legal. The Act stated a red light OR a red reflector. Then again, legally here, bicycles are supposed to have strips of white reflective material on each front ffork leg and red reflective strips on the rear seatstays.

I figure that almost any light on the rear of a bicycle is better than no light on the rear of the bicycle.

Cheers.