Old March 9th 17, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Decent bicycle light cost

On 3/8/2017 11:45 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 6:41:38 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 3/8/2017 4:05 PM, jbeattie wrote:

So, you're easily looking at $400 for a mid-fi dyno set up: $250 wheel and $150 light. None returnable in the event you conclude that the light sucks. But, at the end of the day, you have a light you don't have to charge and that runs as long as you do.

Not really. Lots of dynamo hub wheels are available for $90-125. You can
get a decent light for about $80. So you could get going for about $200.
It's not going to be nearly as good as what you can get in a $100
battery-powered light though. Or even a $50 battery-powered light. But
no one is buying a dynamo light for any reason other than not having to
worry about batteries--visibility and safety are secondary concern.

I consider the bargain dyno wheels to be too lo-fi, although they probably work nearly as well as the PD-8. Not sure about the light output of the $80 light -- but yes, the E3 Triple 2 (for sale by me) at 640 lumens is billed as the brightest dyno light on the market. Kind of underwhelming -- but you don't have to charge it, except on your credit card.

-- Jay Beattie.

That and the warm fuzzy feeling of a light powered by
genuine German electrons.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/