Old March 9th 17, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Bicycle Light Theft & Bicycle Parking Infrastructure

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 3:36:51 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 3/8/2017 11:51 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

snip

I think we can guess which representative brought up the worries about
lights being stolen! He posts here pretty frequently!

And you would be wrong. It was not me.

Personally I've never removed by headlights when going into a building.
But then, mine are bolted on, just like my saddle, derailleur, brakes,
etc. etc.

Unfortunately, in California, many thieves have mastered the operation
of Allen wrenches and adjustable wrenches. There's a big market in
stolen bike parts.

http://www.sfweekly.com/news/putting-a-stop-to-chop-shops/

As I commented to Gene about that article, it is hard to take it seriously beyond the words “The loss of a bicycle could mean a choice between being able to pay rent, buy a new bike.”

.... given that a closet in San Francisco rents for $850:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SFBayHousin...san_francisco/