Old March 9th 17, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Decent bicycle light cost

On 3/9/2017 12:16 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 10:56:40 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/8/2017 8:45 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I can tell after one short nightime ride whether the light meets my needs. It's nothing like buying a bicycle. Besides, many shops do let you take a bicycle out for a decent length test ride.

I wonder: If a guy buys a Campy carbon fiber crankset, installs it,
tests it, and says "Heck, I still can't beat my buddy up that big hill,"
does he qualify for a refund? ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Now you're simply trolling by comparing lights to bicycles. Like I said before and you should know; it's very easy to tell if a light will light the road or trail the way you need it to. I took the bike outside the store onto a dark street and withing one block I KNEW the light was NOT suitable for my needs. What's so hard to understand about that? What's so hard to understand that someone does NOT want to spend hundreds of dollars experimenting with hub dynamose before finding something that meets THEIR needs not yours? Besides, I can tell within a few blocks if a different bicycle will be faster than the one I'm riding.

There are extensive evaluations of lights available, plus you can get an
idea of suitability based on technical specifications. You can also ask
fellow cyclists. In my area probably you want to ride the Caltrain bike
car on the Baby Bullet at night and get off at one of the stations and
see a wide variety of lights. Or hang out on Palo Alto's Bicycle
Boulevard at night, by a stop sign or traffic light, and get an idea of
the differences between lights, and ask the owners about them.

The reality is that it's pretty easy to narrow down light choices before
you go into a store. Choose integrated or separate battery. Eliminate
any sub-800 lumen lights. Look at beam patterns online and eliminate any
models that don't provide sufficient spill. Eliminate all StVZO models.
Ensure that there is flashing DRL functionality. Check the quality of
the handlebar mount. Check the runtime. Determine the level of
waterproofness level you need.

I know that Jay rants on and on about how poor his dynamo light purchase
worked out, but it's because he had already become accustomed to battery
powered lights which were of course much more powerful. Most people that
tout the suitability of dynamo lights have not experienced the level of
illumination and safety that are provided by a good battery light.