Old March 21st 17, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Habanero Ti

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 10:04:51 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 18:54:17 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

So on this Ti do I need anti seize instead of grease and should I do

a yearly pull of crank and BB. I don't do it with my bikes now but Ti
can cause galv corrosion with Al. I don't think these is any al on the
bike as such.

Titanium is quite far down the galvanic tables and generally speaking
tends to become the cathode (most protected) part of a galvanic
corrosion circuit. The Anode (least protected) is the part that is
eroded away.

The logical thing to do is to protect any major or long term threaded
parts with a anti seize of some sort. I have installed stainless parts
into aluminum a famous corrosion sandwich in the presence of an
electrolyte), using an anti seize, and removed them several years
later with no evidence of corrosion.
--
Cheers,

John B.

John, you said you were accredited at welding titanium. As I recall you weren't supposed to lift off a weld and then restart immediately. You were supposed to let it cool down first. On the original ti frames you could see this because they always had to reposition the frame in the welding stand. But now that they grind the welds down smooth you can't see where to watch for problems anymore.